Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Miracle for Sissy

I think the best way to begin this blog would be to start with my family's own incredible miracle story.

Friday, December 4, 2009, 5:30 a.m.: My younger sister Clytie had been rushed by ambulance to the hospital.  She'd suffered a major stroke.  When I arrived, Sissy's right side was paralyzed and she could barely speak.  A few hours later, the doctors had done everything they could--it was a waiting game. Clytie would get better, worse, then better, then worse--the last numbing wave was the most frightening.

I was rubbing Sissy's right foot when I realized she wasn't feeling the pressure of my fingers.  I looked at her right hand and it was starting to curl against her side.  I felt so scared for her.  The nurses tested her responses--she could not lift her leg, or her arm and she could not speak.

I walked to the head of the bed and put my hand on her hair.  She had closed her eyes and was so still.

I began to pray.  As I did, I felt God telling me to put my other hand on her head and pray for her healing.  I fought the idea for a moment--what if this command was just my imagination?  But I obeyed.

As I prayed my hands became hot--like an oven.  It was the strangest thing--I could feel the heat radiating down from my palms.  My prayer was that God's healing power would pour down through Clytie's body like warm oil, sweeping the numbness from her body.  In my mind's eye, I watched the hurt places in her brain reconnecting and sparking.  I stood there praying for the longest time.  When I was done, I smoothed her hair and looked down into her dear face.

Clytie opened her eyes and said, "Aren't you getting bored standing there with nothing to do?!"

I said, "Of course not, I've been praying for you."  Suddenly it hit me.  Her speech wasn't slurred!  I said, "Sissy, I think something amazing just happened!"

Just then with an expression of astonishment, Clytie lifted her right hand--the one she couldn't move before.  She started wiggling her fingers.  She curled her toes. She felt her face.  The numbness had left her body.

All the ICU doctors and nurses were astonished at her complete recovery.  The occupational therapist called  Clytie a rock star!  The physical therapist told me privately that an instantaneous full recovery like my sister's is exceedingly rare.  Sissy and I listened with glee as the poor neurologist tried to find words to explain.  He finally stuttered, "...Sometimes things happen that we just can't explain."  Clytie was slated to spend five days in ICU, but she was doing so well they didn't know what to do with her.  So they sent her home.

But that's not the end of the story.  

A week later Clytie had a follow-up appointment.  The receptionist came out, looked around the waiting area, then went back into her office.  A few moments she was back, glancing across the room with a puzzled look on her face.  She returned to her office.  Then she was back, looked at the paper in her hands, then at my sister.  She said, "Clytie?"  As my Sister gathered her things to go into the examining room, the receptionist apologized.  She had been looking for someone in a wheelchair!

The doctor did a myriad of tests.  When she was done, she told Clytie, "You are a walking miracle.  You shouldn't even be here right now."  She said, "I don't know what it is you have yet to do, but you are here for a reason."  Then with tears in her eyes, the doctor embraced my sister.

A miracle for Sissy.  It really happened.  Neither Clytie, nor I, nor our family will ever be the same.  I pray this true-life story touches your heart with a new sense of hope.  Miracles still happen, because GOD IS STILL GOD.  Don't give up.  Look up.

If you would like to visit Clytie and her wonderfully inspirational blog, you'll find her at Random Hearts.


  1. Beth...I noticed your comment on Sunny's Barnyard and Barnacles....it intrigued me so I found my way to your blog. Very nice and I look forward to more Angel stories. I also like your blog visually as well. I am a photographer so I pay attention to such things!


  2. I am so happy for you and your sister. I lost my brother earlier this year, I prayed for him too, sadly it was not to be.

  3. What a wonderful story and miracle! God Bless you Beth and your Sissy. God works in mysterious ways we don't understand but you have certainly been blessed :)

  4. I love this story and I love that Clytie is well and enjoying life. Life is so precious.
    Beth, this blog is gorgeous, like visiting the most beauteous of beauty!

  5. Hi Beth,
    I never knew this blog was here! Gosh, I am crying my eyes out over here about Clytie, of happy tears and tears of understanding what God does sometimes. Clytie is a very special person and you can feel the peace love and joy of her heart. She has been touched by the hand of God.
    I have a story of my own. I will write it up and then post.
    thank you for being here and those angels you are creating are WONDERFUL! YOU ARE SOMETHING ELSE GIRL!!
    Hugs, Darlene xo

  6. Ah sissie. Enough time has now passed that it almost seems a dream. So much of the ER time is vague - I remember most except for that last terrifying time after they gave me the 'clot buster' injection. I remember 'drifting away', then suddenly I came back, and could lift my leg. Move my hand. Feel my face. They told me later that when they give that particular medicine (only available within 3 hours after a stroke) - they don't see results until at least 72 hours later!!! Never instantaneous. I remember they didn't know what to do with me - there was no protocol for a patient who got well too quickly.

    I will always be grateful to God for giving me more time here with my family and friends. I will never take life for granted again.

  7. You were so still, Sissy. There was a bit of spittle coming down from your mouth. I took a tissue and wiped it away. I was so scared for you. I will never forget the clarity of the command I received to pray for your healing. The white hot heat that flowed through my hands. I could feel the hurt places within your brain reconnecting. I could sense the numbness flowing away--out the ends of your toes. (grin)

    And then when you spoke so clearly--I KNEW it wasn't my imagination. The miracle really happened. I will probably never have the privilege of that happening again in my life. How I thank God for your instantaneous recovery.

    I remember just after I prayed, driving to our parents to pick up the twins--I told Mom, "I think something happened when I prayed." I told her the story of what happened. I will always and ever be in awe of what happened. I will NEVER take you or anyone else I love for granted. Life is precious, every single moment.

    You are precious. My treasured Friend, beloved Sister.